Monday, February 28, 2011

Oh, What Do You Do in the Wintertime?

There has been a particular Primary song that has been stuck in my head the last week or so. I think it has something to do with the fact that I am dreaming of the sun warming my back, the soft grass under my feet while doing a cartwheel, or playing with my family in the lake. So to bring a little warmth during this cold and lackluster time of year, I dedicate this blog to summer.

Please read in the tune to the song "Oh What Do You Do in the Summertime?" in the Primary Children's Songbook#245

Oh, what do you do in the wintertime, when you are stuck inside?

Do you sing while you ride,

or dress dignified,

or lay at your cousins' side?

Is that what you do? So do I!

Oh, what do you do in the wintertime, when all the world ain't green?

Do you peel tangerines,

or read magazines,

or build your first snowman high?

Is that what you do? So do I!

Oh, what do you do in the wintertime, when all the world is wet?

Do you get a new pet,

or with grandma sit,

or learn at your best friend's side?

Is that what you do? So do I!

A few quick notes since Reina's 2nd birthday in January is that she can officially count to ten in three languages: English, Finnish, and Spanish (actually to fourteen in English skipping twelve). Reina can also, not only say the letters of the alphabet but knows what sound each of them make...yes, even the hard ones like l, n, and x! Mummi and her assistant Elaine have been working with her and the other children on letters/sounds, music, and languages. We feel very blessed that Reina has had such a great place to learn during the week. In fact, tonight Reina was reiterating one of the Spanish videos to me that teaches colors and she clearly sang..."purple- murado, yellow-amarillo, red- rojo, blue-azul, white-blanco, tatata..." and ended with a "pose" just like the lady on the video. Wish my eyes were a video camera so I could capture these memories forever! Let me tell you, kids can learn ANYTHING if you make a song out of it!
I don't remember if I have already posted this, but recently I have gotten back into doing yoga a couple times a week and I showed Reina a few poses such as bridge, downward dog, and plank. I only showed them to her once as she copied me and since then if I call out the poses she will go into them- all from memory! So of course I am a proud mama, as all those mamas out there are proud of their own children- and daddies too :) Rightfully so.

1 comment:

Julie Barnes said...

how cool!! Three languages! Someday we will have to let our kids meet up. Reina is SO tall! 2 inches taller than Edward! wow!