Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Our Little Mermaid

I can remember one Christmas break back in late elementary school, perhaps 5th grade when I literally watched "The Little Mermaid" everyday. The funny thing is that my older siblings watched it everyday as well. Between us we could probably recite the movie word-for-word, song-for-song. Disney does such a great job at capturing you at any age with their classics. I'm not talking the Disney Channel as I think the majority of it is complete garbage.
The classic Disney movies send a good message, usually."The Little Mermaid"....not so much. Here we have a young girl, Ariel who isn't happy with who she is and what she has. She disobeys her father who is made to appear as a big, mean daddy. She gets people involved who become deceitful. After all is said and done she doesn't have to learn to accept and love herself for who she is, but rather complains and bargains with the "witch" to become something she's not. I didn't realize that I was exposing Reina to this "role model" until it was too late. Reina loves her. I am glad to say that she also loves Cinderella and Belle who are excellent role models. I personally love Belle because although she is pretty she has brown hair/eyes, doesn't wear pink and loves books! In fact, I think Reina prefers these two princesses over Ariel, but the music in "The Little Mermaid" is excellent; so excellent that Reina enjoys to recite one particular song over and over. Enjoy!

2 comments:

Katrina said...

Oh my goodness - I share your opinions on the Disney princesses almost word for word!!! I am constantly saying that Ariel is the *worst* for all of the reasons you mentioned and that Belle is the best (brown hair and the smartest, OBVIOUSLY!) :-) Surprisingly, I find myself in Disney Princess discussions often...

No matter how many issues I have with Ariel, the film itself is pretty amazing. It was at the beginning of the Disney Renaissance and is pretty much a musical masterpiece - I can't deny it that!

Anyway - I just had to comment since it sounded like *I* was writing this blog! :-)

Julie Barnes said...

SO CUTE!