Sunday, January 26, 2014

Rainbow Birthday Party for a Five Year Old



Reina has been waiting her whole life to turn FIVE. You think I'm exaggerating? Nope. Since she could talk it's been of great importance to her. It's a magical age in her mind that lets her know she gets to do more and be more independent (even more than she already is) i.e. SCHOOL! She goes to my mom's childcare center and sees the school kids coming home and all of the cool things they get to talk about and bring home. Of course she wants to be a part of that, which is why ever since she can remember has wanted to be five. So just a half year more and she'll get to take part of that VERY LONG ROAD. Does she really know what she is signing up for? No, but neither has any other kid until they realize that school isn't the raddest by about sixth grade.


We have been preparing her for school in simple ways through workbooks that help with her comprehension and writing of letters. Mummi and Elaine have been a part of her learning as well with activities and lessons. We (not Reina so much) also have enjoyed hearing her read stories to us in some of her Bob reading books. Her latest book has been a struggle because it is starting to put two short words together to make a compound word and her head hasn't quite rapped around that concept yet; example: into. She wants to give up, and because I see she is really trying and getting frustrated I tell her she can be done for today (after already reading a book and a half). She chooses not to give up! I think I know someone else like this. Reina does not like getting any sort of help or constructive criticism and will pout about it, but the next day will take the advice we give her as if she learned it all by herself- little stinker! We haven't done much else to prepare her but she already seems to know as much, if not more than the kindergarteners or first graders I substitute teach so I'm not worried. She's a smarty that has a memory like her daddy. She is a leader and my only real concern is that she will be a little too overpowering to have many friends. If you think this is from my genes then you would be wrong. I was actually a quiet, "teacher's pet" kind of kid with lots of friends. She is very charming and friendly but seems to enjoy older kids best.

We finally enrolled her in a real dance class as part of a "coming of age" gift; a beginner ballet/jazz class. I'm really going to have to alter my schedule to make this happen because the time slot is only one specific hour each week for her age, but it's something we both have been anticipating. She is beyond excited! Is it the fact that her cousin Heleena is in the same class? The fact that she gets to wear a pretty pink leotard? Or is it really because she wants to learn how to dance? Probably the first two and I'll hope she enjoys learning something that I love as well. You should have seen how she was posing and adoring her reflection in the mirror while trying on her leotard in the dressing room- darn you Disney princesses!



Since her fifth birthday was a big deal, she got to have a birthday party of her choice- RAINBOW PARTY! Fourteen little girls ran around with rainbow wigs a-flying. Even Baelor tried one on for a half second...and decided he does not like anything remotely feminine. We had a "make your own pizza" station which is great for picky eaters. I highly suggest this route for your next kid birthday party. It's easy, and they enjoy choosing their personal pizza toppings.





We played a couple of games with prizes: Pin the rainbow tail on the unicorn (thanks to Paul's great unicorn-drawing skills) and musical chairs (using foam rainbow squares in place of chairs). The rest of the time the kids explored the playroom and Reina's dress-up clothes. We ended with a rainbow cake and gifts.



Each girl took their wigs home and some rainbow candy. With all the time it took to decorate for the party, we had to keep it up for a week to enjoy!



I thought about making a rainbow cake, but lost the desire after Christmas, Baelor's birthday party and cake, and then the preparations for this party! I resorted to my very first store-bought cake. Yep, I fed the kids sugary frosting and preservatives! Gasp! And guess what, the kids did not get sick!?! Didn't you know you're a bad parent if you give them anything that is not gluten-free, grass-fed, omega-rich and dairy-free? I feel like I need to go to counseling now. No offense to anyone by the way. I am actually one of those semi-crazy parents that feed my kids mostly healthy with a little treat almost daily. We usually stay away from pre-packaged and ingredients that you can't pronounce.


It's fun to interview children on their birthdays as to see how their likes and dreams change throughout the years. Here is Reina's answers last year vs. now as a five year old.

What is your favorite color? Pink and purple and yellow
Who is your best friend? Miia (her cousin she see's a few times a year)
What do you want to be when you grow up? A mom
What is your favorite food? Cupcakes, cookies, candy and bubble gum
What is your favorite vegetable? Broccoli and carrots
What are you good at? Reading, and doing cartwheels (as she demonstrates)
What song do you love? "Once There was a Snowman"
What is your favorite sport? I like to do Zumba and go swimming
What is your favorite movie/show? Despicable Me 2
If you could have any wish, what would it be? I wish that I had a baby rabbit
What do you like to do with your friends? I like to play dollies with them What kind? The little Barbies (princess ones that are rubbery/clip-on)
Who is your favorite person in the world? Everyone; my friends, cousins, aunts, uncles, mom and dad
If you could go anywhere on vacation, where would you go? Miia's house and Loon Lake
If you had one hundred dollars what would you buy? I would buy toys What kind? Those things that you got for my birthday (Littlest Pet Shop)
What is your favorite outfit? Pretty dresses Which one specifically? The leopard one Elizabeth got me

We figured that since Reina was a big five year old now she probably didn't need the training wheels on her bike anymore. So Daddy took her out on the first nice day since her birthday for some Road Tests. It only took ten minutes for her to fly solo. Check it out!


1 comment:

Julie Barnes said...

FIVE YEARS!! Happy Birthday, Reina! I just can't believe how fast kids grow up. They are babies for ever and then, BAM, a 5 year old! I love that she is reading and eating good foods. We try really hard to eat as healthy as possible. What a cute little birthday party with 14 kids! WOW! Sure do miss you and so glad you blog so I can see a glimpse of your life.