Saturday, October 10, 2015

Meet Rowen Vaino Guinn

Sunday
8 - 30 - 15
9:25 am
9 pounds / 21.5 inches

Here is the story:
The induction date was set: August 29th. They told us to be there at 6:30 am so we rolled in at 7:15 am- hey it's our third! We figured this would be an in and out thing...since our first two happened so quickly. Nope. Serves us right for being over-confident. Paul went to work for a few hours and figured he'd be back before I'd be in a lot of pain. That part was true because I never dilated past 2 cm- what I came into the hospital at. After nearly nine hours of being hooked up to petocin to help induce the labor, they quit and said to try a different technique. Apparently my OB/GYN was not as accurate as she thought because my cervix was not as soft as she thought. She said I was 80% soft before even going in so it should go well. Obviously I wasn't since it didn't progress. Ugh. I hate waiting. They gave me a prostaglandin to help soften my cervix.
 After 2 doses during the night, they rechecked at 6 am. I was soft and dilated to 4 cm which apparently is okay to break my water. At 7:15, the visiting doctor from Boise broke my water and things progressed quite rapidly from there. I thought it would be at least 4 hours before delivery, so I delayed having an epidural because I did not want things to stall (I've heard of things not progressing after getting epidurals and I was NOT about to stall things again) so I waited. Well, apparently I waited too long because by the time they administered the epidural, I was already pushing before the epidural could work. The only part of the epidural that was taking effect was on my legs. I felt every contraction on every part of me except my legs. Only two hours and ten minutes from my water breaking to delivery! It was definitely the most intense labor I've had since it was as if I didn't have an epidural at all.
Rowen at one week:

 We are trying to get to know him and his little personality. Of course we don't see much of one yet, but we love to see all of his little grimaces and quivers and yawns and even cries.

1 comment:

Julie Barnes said...

AH! He is so adorable!! Way to go with no epidural! You are amazing!!! He just looks so precious. Congratulations!