Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Bedrooms

Now that we have a new addition to our family, we have every bedroom in use in our home. Cough, cough...almost (since Rowen doesn't sleep regularly in his own room). Reina still has the biggest of the kids' bedrooms but we finally got rid of the twin size brass bed that was mine when I was a little girl and decided to put the queen size bed from the guest bedroom in her room and turn the guest room into Baelor's room. This freed up Baelor's old bedroom which is now Rowen's room. Before I decorated Rowen's room, the empty bedroom had become a dumping ground for random junk and holding the unused crib and matching dresser that both Reina and Baelor had. The funny thing is that last January I was tired of looking in that room and seeing a crib not being used so I decided to sell it since I was not pregnant. Right after selling it for about what we paid for it (score!) I found out I was eight weeks pregnant! Of course AFTER getting rid of it is when I find out I'm pregnant. It's okay though, I was done with the black.
BEFORE:

Sold the bed, bedding, sheets, rug and curtains to a grandma for when her granddaughter came to visit. Also sold the white dresser that I had DIY'd already.

The first of the kids' rooms to be redone was Reina's. She still wanted pink, but we went a bit lighter. It started with the comforter I found for a STEAL. I've seen these kinds of comforters for well into the hundreds for a queen size bed and happened to find this one brand-new for $20. It was labeled "as is". I opened up the box and could not find what was wrong with it. After months I finally pulled it out and noticed a huge magenta stain on it. Oh, now I get "as is". Well, I couldn't return it so I did some hands-on mommy stain remover tricks and luckily it came out! I've always wanted to try stripes on a wall and figured her room was the best way to try them out. I get the most compliments on these stripes in her room. Most everything is either DIY'd, super-duper-clearanced, or second-hand.
AFTER:

 I wanted something special for Reina's room so I got this dress artwork done by Grandma Guinn. She was a professional costume designer and I knew her sketches would be perfect for the wall over Reina's bed.

Reina has this queen bed in her room now. When guests come, she gets the boot! Guest bedroom is now Baelor's fishing theme room.
BEFORE:
Guest bedroom bedding sold for what we paid. Gave the rest to charity.
AFTER:




Rowen's bedroom was Baelor's old bedroom when he had the black crib set, but it had become the dumping ground for random storage.
BEFORE:

AFTER:
Matching curtains and rug for a total of about $50 with some added fabric at the bottom. I bought them at separate times brand-new Target brand from Goodwill. Score!
You can't tell from the photo but this was a green chair which I painted gray! Yep, paint. With some sanding and fabric medium is not so bad to sit in!
The retro dresser was $20 from Goodwill as well as the mirror, which I painted white.


Our bedroom is almost the same except we finally got a bed frame and changed the picture to real deer antlers from a relative. I've always wanted real antlers!
 BEFORE:

The bedframe was a craigslist find that we painted black/brown but surprisingly looks deep gray. I want a tufted nailhead headboard but this one was only $80 for a king size frame. Muuuuch better deal!



1 comment:

Julie Barnes said...

I love all the updates!! Way to go!