Saturday, November 3, 2012

What were YOU for Halloween?




This past week we have done a lot of dressing up...well, at least Reina has. She dressed up as a princess not once, but TWICE. The first time was to see Disney Princesses on Ice with her cousin Heleena at the "Dare to Dream" show. Oh my, did they have a good time!  I was running late so of course there was a major accident on the freeway, but luckily we only missed the beginning of Princess Tiana (which Reina hasn't seen anyway). She was getting anxious to see Cinderella since she was dressed up like her.

 

 This is her current favorite princess of the week. I even put make-up on her for the first time...a little blue eye shadow that I happened to find from who knows when/what, and some blush. That night I could imagine what she will look like when she is sixteen.


Heleena dressed up as Rapunzel with pretty flowers in her hair. The three main story lines were Princess Tiana, Cinderella, and Rapunzel. Phew! Good thing the girls dressed up like the starring princessess. This was also my sister Sanni and my first time to a Disney Ice show. What a production!  The show began featuring Princess Tiana, then Cindrella, and ended with Rapunzel. They had amazing costumes and even did some trapeeze sort of stunts with Rapunzel's hair. Not a single triple-axle fall, only intentional "falls" from Cinderella's wicked step-sisters. I think they were my favorite characters along with dreamy Eugene from "Tangled". I also have a fascination with Rapunzel's "mother". I like to sing the "Mother Knows Best" song to Reina in a robust voice just like in the movie.


Heleena and Reina looking at all the overly-priced princess stuff during intermission
The final production had ALL the princes and princesses in their wedding gowns

Just a few days later we went to a ward "Trunk-or-Treat" that also had a chili and pie cook-off contest. It rained the whole night except for the 10 minutes of actually trunk-or-treating outside. We couldn't have timed that better! Reina really grasped the joy of trick-or-treating this year. I think she is more excited of the idea of having a bucket full of candy than the candy itself. In fact, someone commented "Wow, she has a bucket full of candy and instead she is asking for pumpkin pie." I'm crossing my fingers we've trained her to enjoy some sweets, but not to overly indulge. 

Our family at Mummi and Papa Will's Trunk-or-Treat along with friends Emily and Abigail


We have always enjoyed Halloween and theming up our family. This year, since I already had an amazing renaissance dress that Grandma Guinn made me years ago for a renaissance fair, I decided to go with it. Paul wanted a Sir coat, so I made one using a pattern and verbal instructions from the very talented Grandma Guinn. Reina's costume was luckily an already made/already had snow princess costume that fit the theme perfectly. So what could a little 9 month old be that would fit our Knightly theme? Link from Zelda! Paul's idea of course. I found a couple girls' green t-shirts at Walmart for $2.50. A little cutting and surging, and POOF! His costume was probably the best! The cheapy thrown-together costume was the best. I guess anything on this baby looks cuter though. Paul even made a replica Deku Shield and Kokiri Sword.

A "zombie apocalypse" t-shirt that Baelor wore on Halloween day. What a cute zombie!
Day of Halloween wear
Second-time around wig. Hehe!
On Halloween night we attended our ward's Trunk-or-Treat for the first time. Usually we go to Coeur D'Alene. It was a nice change. Reina's favorite part was the homemade glazed donuts and the gorilla that scared you when you reached for a treat out of the back of somebodies truck. Paul took Reina to a few houses up and down our neighborhood while I was putting Baelor to bed. Halloween ended with Reina separating her candy in little piles.....chocolate, suckers, boxed candy, gummies....reminding us of our past trick-or-treating years. I already have some ideas rolling around in my head for our theme next year. Hopefully it doesn't involve much sewing :)


1 comment:

Julie Barnes said...

Oh my! How CUTE! I love all of your costumes! Halloween is one of my favorite holidays. We try to do a family theme every year. Hopefully, the boys will be in to doing a theme for as long as possible. :)