Sunday, August 4, 2013

Baelor Leevi Guinn @ 18 months



I did just recently post updates on Baelor when he turned 17 months, but I thought that 1 1/2 years is a milestone. And heck, why not see more cute pictures of our little toe head?!? Baelor is our little ray of sunshine! So jolly. So laid-back. Such an entertainer.




His actual 18 months mark was right before Independence Day. To celebrate we went to the beach, just our little family. We couldn't ask for better Oregon Coast weather! It was breezy so jackets were necessary but not a cloud in the sky! Baelor enjoyed running as fast as his little legs would take him on the sand with the ocean breeze whipping his 'do around.



He was especially interested in the different textures: wet sand vs. dry sand, and the black barnacles that you can pull off the rock with your fingers. I probably shouldn't have showed him you could do this as that is all he wanted to do thereafter. We even stayed in a surprisingly clean motel. I'm kind of a germaphobe so I brought my own pillow. Baelor was hesitant about sleeping somewhere new, but if he has his few simple items (binki, gloworm, and bally blanky) then he settles right in.



One major change that I have noticed with our little guy in just a month is his ability to understand. I think I have been treating him younger than I did with Reina at this age because he chooses not to talk much. This may hinder his vocabulary, but he understands a lot more than I give him credit for. One night Paul told him to give Reina a hug. He ran over and did exactly that! I asked him to get his shoes (not in sight) and he found them. One thing that Paul and I believe in as parents is to talk to our children like normal people- no baby talk allowed! This helps develop their vocabulary and other oral skills with much greater ease.


Another major milestone that Baelor has developed the last month is his motor skills in play. He is understanding his body in relationship to the world. Not too long ago I had to be very cautious when he was at the playground. Now he can go all the way up the twirly slide by himself! (Yep, the wrong way). He is quick at climbing the stairs if there is a reason to go quickly, like a slide. If he doesn't see a reason to be quick then he just paces himself. He often reminds me of my brother as a kid; observant, patient, conservative in speaking, kind, paced.


 Baelor is in the stage of In/Out. What I mean by this is that his play involves "put it in, then take it out, and put it in again." He is into those shapes that you stick in the hole that matches the shape. He is also into my cupboards. I'll be looking for something like a sippy cup of milk that needs to be washed and find it days later in my bedroom closet. I actually am not at all frustrated by this because it's like a surprise that he left for me; kind of like when a cat leaves a dead bird for their owner.


We feel very blessed to have such a sweet boy. He doesn't understand hitting, unless it's banging his head against your face because he loves you so much. Yeah, I had to ice my nose a few nights ago because of this. He doesn't bite, unless he wants to show you affection. Or maybe he is out to get me? Seems he only does this to me.



Baelor is very expressive. He often gives an "old man" expression if something intrigues him. Everyone gets a hoot out of this look! He seems to overly-dramatize an expression...maybe to compensate for the lack of words? I'll take it! 


 Baelor loves to play games that involve running; chase, hide-and-go-seek, mommy and daddy pretending to be a barking dog, whatever. Some of his other "loves" are: dogs, Reina, berries, balls, being outside and music.




He just started going to Nursery at church and should have a sign that says, "No Parent Needed". He doesn't even look to see if we are leaving. I peaked in on his first day in Nursery as they were just getting ready for snack. He finds an empty seat at the table, sits right down, glances around the table at the bigger peers and smiles. Both he and I knew he became a big boy.









1 comment:

Kristina said...

Love your hair! It's gorgeous and your kiddos are so cute!!! They say that boys take a bit longer than girls to start really communicating but when then do, oh my, you'll forget they ever didn't ;)