Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Baelor's Birth Story

Baelor is our New Year's baby as he was born at 3:23pm on January 2, 2012 (1.2.12). He was 11 days early, but only 4 days earlier than planned. I was to be induced on January 6th due to gestational diabetes the 2nd time around. He decided he didn't want to wait that long. Actually, I think Reina inspired or conspired with him to have him come early. She wanted to be sure he was there for her birthday on January 8th. She said many prayers for this to come true! He came a few extra days early due to the fact that I had been battling low amniotic fluid levels since the 19th of December. This was quite scary as some special care doctors thought it was better that I be induced right away "just in case". I wasn't ready at all! I had barely finished teaching on that Friday, then had to prepare and give a talk on Sunday, and received this news on Monday. Here I thought I would enjoy a couple of weeks to prepare for our baby boy, but of course I couldn't have a break. I had an option to try rehydrating with IV fluids, which did seem to show some progress, but would go down after a couple of days. I did this twice and knew on Christmas Eve if it was low once more that I would have to be induced for the safety of the baby. Christmas Eve came and I was hoping I wouldn't be Mary. My fluid levels were just high enough that we could safely wait until the day after Christmas. Somehow with this stress off of me, I was able to maintain my fluid levels until I delivered in the New Year. I know, tax purposes I should have delivered in December, but I'm happy with another January baby.
 I went into the hospital all by myself at 7:30 on Monday, January 2nd...day of induction. Of course Paul would have been there, but I thought Reina should sleep in as much as possible as this would be a rough couple of days without her parents...although discovered she was great for my sister Sanni and Mummi who watched her. After paperwork and boring hospital stuff I wasn't officially put on Petocin until about 9am. They slowly increased the dosage by increments of 2 so as not to shock my system. Paul arrived a little after 10am and was my support. Not too much was happening yet besides my cervix starting to soften and dilating from a 3 to maybe a 4. I was already a 3 when I arrived but not soft at all. Dr. Virgin broke my water (at least thinks she does) at 10:32. I had such a low fluid level that the leakage was minimal. First uncomfortable contraction at 10:52.
Continued to increase Petocin until at 8 units. Started walking the halls at 11:30am to get things moving along quicker. Had to stop every 2-3 minutes to let a contraction pass. Not too bad yet. At 12:30pm tried the ball for 10 minutes. Didn't like it and contractions were getting worse. 12:43pm, 75% effaced and dilated 4-5 cm. 1-1:20 pm contractions became more uncomfortable; dilated 5 cm. 1:32pm finally asked for epidural. Epidural administered at 1:50pm. I asked them to go light on it since last time with Reina I couldn't feel my legs for 18 hours and didn't know when to push as I could feel nothing. Much lighter epidural this time. I could still feel every contraction and still painful, but tolerable...no I'm not sleeping in this picture, this was me focusing as contractions were just barely tolerable.
At 2:30pm, I was dilated to 6cm. By 3:15 pm completely dilated and baby at +1 (which means head showing). I pushed for 3 contractions (6 times total). I imagined him moving down with each contraction, which I think helped push him down quicker. Mind over matter, right?
 Welcomed Baelor Leevi Guinn into our family at 3:23 pm weighing 7 lb. 7 oz, 20.5"

 What an amazing delivery! I only hope for all of them to go as seamless as this one.

 My mom was there to see the worst of contractions and the best part, seeing the birth of her 16th grandchild.
Reina FINALLY meeting her new baby brother! So many nights she would give my belly a hug (her brother) when she would go to bed, or when she was sad. It was amazing to see what a GOOD big sister she already is to him. Love between siblings is amazing. I haven't felt greater love for my family than I have now. I love you Paul, Reina, and Baelor more than I can say, smile, or cry. Thank you for letting me be a part of you.

3 comments:

Haley, Brad, and the gang said...

Congratulations! Tell Baelor he has some pretty excited cousins down here :).

Unknown said...

awwww this made me cry! what a great delivery cant wait to meet him :)

Julie Barnes said...

Congratulations! What a great birth story. The second time seems to be so much easier and less scary. So glad you are doing well!