Monday, January 30, 2012

Projects on a Budget

I don't consider myself "crafty", yet I seem to set myself up for doing projects. Is it because I can envision what the final product should look like, or because it seems so much cheaper just to do it myself? In any case, here are some of my more recent projects. The pictures don't do justice. It's not as cluttered as it appears in the photos. Probably due to the writing. Reina's artwall is actually the door to the attic, so it is rather cluttered but an easy place to put all of my favorites!




With Reina's "big girl" bedroom, my inspiration piece was the picture above her bed. I found this at Goodwill. I I like how whimsical it is, simple, yet kid-like.You can't tell, but this cute little thing was a monster of a problem ....too heavy! It took 5 brains and two frame stores to hang this thing. We thought of all sorts of options, but none of them worked until we discovered an "EZ-bar". Apparently this is something you use to hang large/heavy items like mirrors when sheer weight is too much for just the studs and anchors. Can you believe it took 5 brains to discover this? And you would've thunk the first frame store knew about an EZ-bar! We don't plan on living here for too much longer so I chose not to repaint the walls and decided to just make it work. Surprisingly, the wall color fits in rather well. I have labeled the picture like HGTV to give you an idea of how much everything cost. I like to see what I can create on a very small budget. I do have grander ideas, but maybe for her next room and a little more to spend. The bed was mine growing up...kind of outdated brass so I am debating on painting it, but sometimes original is better. Haven't decided yet. Also I am still on the hunt for a cute comforter. I have seen a few that are cute, but are $100 as well. So we'll just have to wait...or make a duvet cover. The white dresser in Reina's room was probably the ugliest color brown you can imagine...oh, and it was a fake wood veneer. It had no hardware which made it even more ugly. I learned what kind of paint goes on "fake wood" and it turned out great! The dresser came with another matching larger 6-drawer dresser that is used in our bedroom. I painted it black and added hardware. It also serves as a dresser and for holding our T.V...sorry, no pic.


Baelor's room is actually inspired by what was supposed to be Reina's room as a baby. She never actually got this crib until she was close to 2 years old, then only months later got her "big girl" bed. I had originally decided on the red/black/white motif because when I was pregnant with Reina I learned that babies really gravitate towards these colors. It intrigues their eyes and strengthens their mind (supposedly). Instead, Reina had a pack-n-play and she slept in my "walk-in-closet". She never had a baby room. Everything in Baelor's room I made except for the two pillows and animal pictures. The Ikea chairs are mainly in Baelor's room because we currently have no other place to store them. I do not sit there and rock him, but the thought is nice. The curtains were from the chiropractic office in Tacoma, so we reused them...they are the exact same color as the walls in fact. I have just a few more finishing touches to put up (i.e. mobile on crib, an empty wall to decorate), but otherwise have 2 rooms done for 2 kids! Yeah!
Here is a chair I re-cushioned (cut the foam), and completely new material. Thanks to the verbal instructions of my mother-in-law, I was able to redo a once horrible ugly Goodwill find (so ugly I didn't take the cushions home...I don't like unknown bottoms sitting in my house). I even put zippers in so I can wash them. I'm kind of a germaphobe.
I have extra material for two matching pillows that I will make for whichever room this goes in. The wicker chair is definitely "retro" but I thought with the right modern touches it will do just fine.

1 comment:

Julie Barnes said...

Wow! You are a great decorater! I don't usually put anything on our walls because we move so much... maybe someday if we can ever afford to buy a home again. Your home looks great!!