Monday, November 3, 2014

A Frozen Halloween

Halloween is one of my favorite holidays! It is probably my second favorite holiday, just behind Christmas. I just love the whole dressing-up idea, creativity, scariness (although I detest scary movies), anything goes, and just the sheer fun that kids of all ages enjoy!
Unlike no other year, our family dressed in theme. Reina chose our theme this year- Frozen, of course. It was the #1 costume this year. Luckily I bought her costume straight from China a month or so ago to make sure it arrived on time. I researched which Elsa costume to buy. I really liked the original Disney Store dress but the cheapest I could find was $100! Not happening. The Target/Walmart/Party City ones were either sold out or through research learned that the glitter would fall all over the place and the sleeves were extremely itchy. Reina is VERY sensitive to texture (like her daddy) therefore I knew I had to do better. I was very pleased when the one that came directly from China had a nice, soft material for her arms, had the actual cape, and cost the same as the Walmart one! We already had the blonde wig from our costume box.
Baelor of course had to be Olaf. His turned out the cutest! Or maybe he just is the cutest. I found the idea on Pinterest to use a white hoodie. Guess what, you can't find plain white hoodies in stores. Another cheap online purchase. I had so much going on with school I knew I wouldn't get his costume done without some super late nights. With some felt and pipe cleaner and minor instructions to Grandma Guinn how I wanted it done, she of course, exceeded my expectations by making the nose JUST RIGHT and she even found some nice, big button eyes.
Paul and my costume took some creativity. I knew that buying Reina's costume and Baelor's hoodie was about as far as I go with costume budget so I had to get creative. I went to our local Value Village (haven't gone in years actually), and found a ladies thick fleece jacket that I knew could work for Kristoff's jacket, and the red scarf. An old leather jacket I've had hanging in the garage for years finally got the "cut" for it's fur. My amazing mom did all the crazy trimmings from my "creative" ideas. She sure knows how to make something out of scrap!

(Not the best picture, but hey, at least I got one!) 

My costume was probably the most hodge-podged. Since material can be expensive, I was on a mission to find the right color skirt and cloak. Okay, I happened to find a $2 ladies jumper dress in just the right color and a maroon sweater. With a little tugging, and trimming, and cutting and makeshifting, my mom saved me yet again. The "corset" was actually something I already had and just cut the leotard part out of it and added the lower gold trim.
Yes, I'm bragging. Not so much my buying skills, but for my moms. Seriously, they saved me this Halloween! The art of sewing is definitely a skill that my brain just doesn't comprehend. Maybe my patience is the culprit...
Halloween traditions include:
Pumpkin carving (only a day or so before since I like to cook it down and freeze), two trunk-or-treat nights (our wards and my parents), spaghetti for dinner, themed costumes
After trick-or-treating, Reina chose chocolate milk that a family in our neighborhood gives out every year while she warmed up by the heater. Baelor was out!

1 comment:

Julie Barnes said...

LOVE IT!! You all look so great!