Thursday, November 27, 2014

M-I-C-K-E-Y M-O-U-S-E

What lucky girls! Paul reminded how I had promised Reina a trip to Disneyland when she turned five. It didn't happen because Paul literally just started at a new chiropractic office that week and we were planning to drive there to save money instead of flying. Reina really was not too disappointed. It's hard to know what you're missing out on when you've never experienced it, right? I think I felt so guilty which is why she had such a big, rainbow birthday party.
Paul suggested that just her and I should fly down. Just the two of us. What?!? Is this really possible? It was. I had a voucher through Southwest Airlines that was going to expire in a few months. Baelor is too young for Disneyland, and Paul didn't feel he could take time off work for some time anyway. I had a break in my work schedule and since we can stay at my sister, Tarja's house, there really wasn't any reason not too.
Our travels really couldn't have gone any better! No delays, no major traffic, just peachy really!
We had two full days to spend at Disneyland and be engulfed in all the magic that dwells therein. We saw many characters and princesses- some whom Reina has never even seen before. So guess who she wanted to see the most- Goofy. We didn't see him until the parade the last evening we were there, but at least I got a picture. The first princess she met was Cinderella. Reina kept telling me that it's just a person dressed up like Cinderella. I had to explain to her that they don't have "cartoons" at Disneyland, but rather they are the real princess. Not sure if she bought it. Either she expected them to look as exact cartoon images or there was a slight deviation in their actual features that discredited them.
We went on rides that even I haven't been on before since they are more "kid" friendly and I was ten the first time I went. Some of the new ones for me included: Peter Pan, Pinnocchio, Alice in Wonderland, Dumbo, Storybook Land, Nemo's Submarine, and the carousel.
Aunt Tarja, who recently had surgery, came with us the first day. I had to push her around in the wheelchair all day which allowed us some special treatment including cutting in line. I kept joking with her about being crazy "Gerdy" (short for Gertrude), and pretending to push her down the stairs or pop wheelies or do some other elderly abuse to her. We I had fun with that! The second day we realized that her wheelchair access didn't really make our wait time any longer. The lines were so short we never had to wait for more than 15 minutes! Yep, we seriously waited for Pirates of the Caribbean for a mere 2 minutes!
I really enjoyed the Haunted Mansion because it was all decorated as Nightmare Before Christmas. It was a very appropriate theme for the holiday season. Even the decor inside was all in Nightmare theme.
The weather was excellent! Perfect for Splash Mountain! I really didn't think Reina would want to go on this steep roller-coaster. But our brave girl went on it three times in a row! P.S. Hardly anyone wanted to ride it in the dark so we just kept going :)
I thought for sure Space Mountain would be too scary for just a little five year old girl who was barely tall enough for the 46 inch height requirement for some of the bigger rides. Nope. The speed and dark were nothin' on her! We went on this a few times (had to get a FastPass for this ride if we didn't want to wait in stanby for 15 minutes).
Another top ride for Reina was Indian Jones with it's bumpy, jeep ride, and the close calls with "temple of doom" flair.
Somehow we managed to fill two whole days without getting to Toon Town. It's good for getting some cute pictures, but my memory seem to not remember the rides.
The second night we started to watch the parade. I was excited to watch it. Reina somehow got bored of it only minutes into it and wanted to instead go on rides. This was her trip so I followed suit and we finished up on the teacups with the parade happening right behind us.

We had a fun and easy time! Seriously, could not have gone any smoother. I hope that these pictures will remind Reina of the fun we shared at the magical kingdom.

1 comment:

Julie Barnes said...

Wow, this looks like a fun trip!! Just the two of you is a great idea! I love all the pictures.