Friday, April 24, 2015

A Real Spring Break

For the first time EVER I took a full week of spring break off of work! Usually I get caught up with driving students during this time. I have missed out on so much of the day-to-day events with Reina being in school and me working that I've just really missed the little things that a mom does all week. We didn't go away anywhere because Paul had to fill in for the other doctor who took a real vacation. Kinda bummed about this but I tried to do little activities with the kids throughout the week.
Reina finally got a library card! We have been to the library before but apparently everyone in her class has their own library card. I didn't know kindergarteners could get their own. We spent a whole lot of time there collecting a couple chapter books for Reina and an arm load of Bearnstein Bears books. I quizzed Baelor on recognizing his lower-case letters with this fun mat. I'd say he scored a 97%. A kind little girl even got them all hooked up to watch "Peep". I drooled at some interior design magazines.


Quizzing Baelor on his lower-case letters, numbers, and colors
We stopped at the Humane Society and always "choose" the pet we'd come home with. Here is our choice:

Reina got to choose some knick-knacks at Goodwill. You can't tell from scale but these are all really tiny. She has always loved tiny things.

Of course we took trips to the park. The weather has been on and off sun/rain this week so you can't really plan too much outside on any particular day.

Reina had a play day with her friend Abby at our house. I forgot a picture of them. They've been friends since Reina was two. She also had her friend Ella come over to play one afternoon.
After daddy and neighbor Stu mowed the lawn,
Baelor had to get in on the action.
One super-fun event was ice-skating! This was Reina's first time. She started out quite wobbly and held onto the wall at least five times around the rink, but she stayed positive and was determined to do it without holding on. Reina does not give up on something she really wants to do well. I was quite surprised how I didn't hear whining when I gave her some instruction, but rather an athlete's determination. We were both very proud of how well she did. Great job Reina

On another day we went to JJjump. Oh boy, I didn't know little kids can get so sweaty!! After burning all those calories they ate up their pizza. Even picky Baelor ate all of his pizza! We brought some to daddy at work while the kids enjoyed watching a movie at the office so I could sneak off to my Zumba class.

Pizza at Costco. Both Reina and I were surprised even Baelor ate more of his pizza than her!!
Chocolate sundaes make for one gross face!
Of course we had to drop in at Mummi's and say "hi" to all of their friends (and get an already made lunch). Baelor has really impressed us lately with his vocabulary. His sentences are far more detailed and easier to understand, but I didn't know he could build this?!? Sometimes I forget he is growing up because he is still not potty-trained. Sigh.
Finally by Saturday, Paul wasn't working and we thought it would be fun to finish the week off with swimming! On our way to the pool, Baelor threw up all over himself and the carseat. It was bad. Reina immediately started to cry because she knew it meant she would not get to go swimming. Since she was looking so forward to it, Paul suggested I take her while he cleaned and bathed Baelor. I think I got the better end of the deal! Reina has been scared to go down the slide every time we've gone in the past. I guess being a big kindergartener means you are not afraid anymore. She went down a few times on my lap, then the rest of the time she wouldn't stop going down by herself! It looks like she is ready for Great Wolf Lodge where there are many slides.
 I had all of these plans to do it all during spring break: get projects done, make dinner every night, do fun things with the kids, be an awesome wife... So, I didn't get everything done but overall I feel the important stuff happened. It was a good week.

1 comment:

Julie Barnes said...

Love the slide!! Looks like fun! Sometimes a little stay-cation is all that is needed.